Tuesday, May 10, 2011

He does have a conscience!

So, lately Tyler's been lying a lot... Jackson will cry and I'll ask what happened, only to hear Tyler reply, "he fell... he hit himself with a toy... or I didn't do it" all of which with a sneaky face and very obvious that he was involved in whatever just happened to my baby boy.
Today, we were eating oranges when I walked into the other room. A few minutes later, Tyler calmly walked into the office with his hand behind his back. He said, "Mom, I was cutting an orange and this happened" and held out a bloody finger. I yelped and jumped up, (exactly the wrong response) and he started to instantly cry. Oh yeah, dumb mom-- first aid 101: stay calm!
After looking it over I realized this was not a bad cut, cleaned it and put on a bandaid. Then I noticed the two orange halves on the table with no knife in sight. "What knife did you use?" I asked. Immediately, he said, "the kid knife" When I asked him which one, he fished through the silverware drawer and found me the plastic blue shark knife with a serrated edge. Not sure that would cut him, plus it was totally dry. When I asked him why it wasn't dirty, he said, "I washed it" With no stool by the sink I knew the pieces weren't adding up. I looked at our metal butter knives and saw one with orange pulp and juice on it, put back in the silverware drawer in the proper compartment. BINGO. The mystery is solved. When I told Tyler I knew he wasn't telling the truth, He burst into tears again...
I gave him a huge hug and tried not to laugh... teaching moment, teaching moment! I explained to him that I wouldn't have been mad at him if he accidentally cut himself with the knife, I just want him to tell me the truth. We feel bad when we tell lies (remember how you cried?) And we feel better when we tell the truth (don't you feel better now that I know what happened?) Plus I put a little in about Mom always knowing the truth, with my magic eyes (as he calls them) and my smart brain. I hope this is the end of his fib-telling phase!

2 comments:

Paxton said...

You are lucky you have that magic eye! I'm glad he didn't get too hurt, that could have been scary! And you are such a smart Mom to make it into a good teaching moment. I get so tongue tied and explain things with too many words, then realize she lost my point a while ago, HA!

Two Drty Lil' Hands said...

oh wow!!! We may live miles and miles away from eachother, but our boys are still 2 peas in a pod! Zach is going through this lying stage as well. He pulled out a whole dresser drawer and said 'I saw that ghost do it mom!" or one time I found a ball of poop on the floor "mom it just jumped out by itself!" which i guess isn't a lie per-say, but he knows what he's doing! lol, but I hear him tell total lies to other people about other people that are really about him, like something bad that HE did but he says some one else did it!!