Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Our Camping Adventure!

Jeff took the boys to the Fathers and Sons outing on Friday night. But since he works at 6:30 am Saturday morning, they came home at midnight to sleep in their own warm beds :) Jeff promised them we would go camping as a family, so Sunday evening we re-packed the car and headed out. We found a great campsite in the Angeles Forest, it was pretty, but COLD! I was getting nervous as I watched the car thermometer tell us it was 32 degrees outside as we drove up the mountain.
We built a fire right away- cooked hotdogs and smores and had a great evening. Sleeping with 4 bodies on a queen blow up matress in the tent with only 3 sleeping bags wasn't my highlight of the trip, but we got through the night!
The next morning I asked the boys if they liked camping. Tyler yelled, "Yes! I DO!!" And Jackson shook his head and said, "Grandpa's house" I'm pretty sure he was telling me that next time we go camping in 3o degree weather, he would like to hang out with Grandpa in his house instead!! :)

A few other funny moments:
In the middle of the night Tyler yelled, "don't let it eat me!" I think the pretend bear rated-G ghost story Jeff told might have been a little too scary :)

Early the next morning after very little sleep, Jackson woke up crying and wanted his binky. I was searching through all the sleeping bags for it and asked if anyone had seen it. Tyler said, "Maybe he swallowed it."

We woke up to the lovely sound of birds chirping. A very weird-- ooh ooh ehh eeh chirp. As we were exiting the tent and getting ready to take a walk, Tyler said he wanted to go find the monkeys. Jeff and I had a good laugh and decided the birds did indeed sound exactly like monkeys. We told him, "they're not monkeys, they're birds". Tyler's reply was very certain and matter of fact. "No they aren't. They are monkeys. Let's go find the monkeys." Even after identifying the birds that were making the monkey sound, he wouldn't give up on his search for the monkeys. On the way home he declared since he didn't see any monkeys while camping, we needed to go to the zoo. today.

I just love spending time with my family! Even though we were mostly freezing cold, didn't get any sleep, and were annoyed by the monkey birds, we had a total blast!!

2 comments:

Melonie said...

How fun! Glad you had a good time... I hate camping. So glad I married a camping hater just like me. Good job for braving it out. I'm sure your boys will love their new camping memory.

Jeni said...

You are a braver woman than I! Josh has been trying to get me to go camping FOREVER - eh, no thank you! Who knew there were monkey birds out there?! Hahaha!
We totally miss you guys out here! Cash wanted to know if when he starts kindergarten if he gets to do art lessons with Tyler's mom too. I can't believe he even remembers that! :)