Thursday, June 3, 2010

Attitude Adjustment

Today started early; I woke to the kids and heard my husband mumble a little "thanks for letting me sleep in" About 10 minutes later, his phone rings off the hook with work calls and it wasn't even 7:30 yet. So much for my turn to sleep in tomorrow :)
The day seemed to go by in slow motion, yet the boys are running around in hyper-mode. I feel like it must be time to start getting ready for bed and somehow the clock says its only 4:30. I make dinner and by the time it's done, Tyler's asleep on the couch. I pretty much yell nice things to him, shake him a bit, and pinch his cheeks, and... nothing. This means he'll wake up when Jackson goes down and I wont have a break until Jeff gets home at 10pm.
I stand in the kitchen and look around; paper streamers spread around the house, a bowl of popcorn dumped out on the floor, play-doh snakes on the table, and a sink full of dishes. I swear I woke up this morning to a very clean house. Now only hours later its a disaster. I call my mom for a good ol' attitude adjustment and she reminds me:
cleaning the house while the kids are still growing
is like sweeping the walk while the snow is still snowing
Thanks Mom, I needed that. I often get overwhelmed by the constant cleaning and especially the vicious laundry cycle- I can't seem to keep up and have our dirty clothes clean or our clean clothes put away. But my good friend, Christine told me her positive view:
piles of clothes mean I have loved ones to dress,
money to buy clothes,
and the convenience of a washer and dryer.
So, I try to look at my house a little differently on days like this. We had a good day; the boys got their fair share of fresh air at the pool this morning, healthy food in their tummies, lots of kisses from Mommy and Brother, so what if my house looks like a tornado dropped a bomb on us. We are healthy and happy and have so many blessings.





4 comments:

Meka said...

I needed this post! I am a clean freak and Eden is a little tornado. I feel like I spend all day cleaning up after her and today I have been so frustrated! I keep trying to tell myself this is just the season of life I am in and there will be a time when my house can be spotless but now it shouldn't be! I like that quote a lot, I need that in vinyl on my wall!

Meka said...

Oh- I meant the quote that your mom told you, that is perfect!

Paxton said...

You are such an amazing lady! I just love that you can find the good in every situation! i used to drive myself crazy with the messes too... well still do, but i realized the less stuff we have, the less mess there is. and i've stopped buying needless toys, and given away more clothes and toys and things like that. it helps to par everything down because we really don't need that much! my house still gets messy, but i try to keep it out of certain areas, like the living room and let the kids trash every other room, that way i can go feel calm in one room.
you are so sweet, and i am grateful that i can always look at your blog and get a dose of happy from you! your little boys and your great attitude always make me smile! THANK YOU!

Tommy said...

... but Christine's saying doesn't rhyme! How about this one?
"wash my clothes or the dirt always shows"
Or, "clean up the house or you'll have to eat a mouse!"
Hmmm, we'll have to think of some others....