Thursday, April 10, 2008

I thought we were gonna die!

Seriously, last night we woke up to the craziest storm! I thought the wind was going to blow through the windows. The lightning reminded me of War of the Worlds because it was completely constant flashes of light. Every once in awhile the thunder would crackle so hard the house shook. Our power went out and we headed to the living room to be close to Tyler's room. The rain was so loud we decided it was hailing. Then I remembered American Idol... and the little red writing along the bottom: Tornado Warning (with a list of counties) and Tornado Watch (with a list of counties). We were happy our county wasn't listed, but I'm thinking maybe by 4 am the TORNADO is headed our way! I also remember another notice: Golf ball size hail in 2 counties, seek shelter immediately... I'm ready to grab the baby and jump in the bathtub with a mattress. (I've been told that's just what you do.) So as all these thoughts are going through my head, I'm wishing I bought that weather radio my mom told me to get. I'm thinking of all the ways we could find out how serious this storm is... Turn on the news. Oh wait, power's out. Check the internet. Nope, powers out. Ok, so at least I could warm up some mashed potatoes from dinner cuz I'm feeling a little hungry. Wait, no, I can't. Am I allowed to flush the toilet? I really don't know. So about a half hour later, the storm dies down and we head back to bed. As I'm falling asleep, I mentally add an item to my shopping list. A weather radio. And maybe some items to add to my non-existent 72 hour kit. What a night!



So, Ken & Judy woke up early to get milk and doughnuts and both our grocery stores by us are closed with no power. They saw 10 trees uprooted, many fences knocked over and a trampoline tipped over on top of the garbage cans! WOW.
Try to find the fence in the above picture. Blown clear to the sidewalk.

6 comments:

Becky said...

welcome to texas...we are known for our thunder and lightning. i'm glad everything is okay. how are you? tyler is sooo cute and you are such a cute mom!!

Weston and William's Blog said...

Oh my gosh, that sounds AWFUL!!!! I guess they sometimes have tornados here in Illinois as well, and I also heard that thing about the mattress/bathtub. My thought is: how would I get a queen size mattress into our tiny bathroom, lol! I'm glad you guys are okay! Thanks for the adorable pictures!

Ashli Brown said...

i slept right thru it, ive come to find i sleep great when its storming. i didnt even know that the power was out or anything,zane said it went out around 3 and came on after 9 sometime. im not sure when, we went to my moms all day.

Melonie said...

Yep... while funny to read and glad we are not there... that's texas for ya! CRAZY thunderstorms and usually not too much damage to houses. An emergency kit would be a great thing to get though... :D Glad you survived the night!

Beth Stolle said...

Kirsti!! I was wondering around on becky's page and saw your name so I thought I would take a peek (I'm becky's first roommate from school -Beth) and I saw you live in Texas which really made me curious. We are looking at jobs out there and I wanted to know what you think of it. Would you mind filling me in a little about it?

So sorry about the weather. We are in tennessee and it gets really crazy here too!

Max and Sarah said...

You are so cute!! I used to be TERRIFIED of the storms in Texas! As soon as even a tornado watch was out, I would hide with the radio in the tornado closet we had. I love thunderstorms now...haha! Glad you guys made it through though!