Lightning McQueen, Wall-e, Woody, Buzz, Nemo and the Incredibles have agreed to help me in this quest to go diaperless.
This morning, Tyler peed in the toilet right after he woke up and about 4 times after that! He wore underwear for about 4 hours, until he had 2 accidents back to back and I decided that was great for day 1. Tyler explored all the different ways there are to pee in the toilet (standing up, sitting down, sitting sideways, squatting down, on the toddler seat, not on the toddler seat...) and my poor toilet needs a really good scrub down. As well as the hall carpet and the carpet around the toilet (oh how I hate carpeted bathrooms, what the heck, who thought of that?!)
Anyway, I am very grateful for my many Disney friends who allowed us to make this experience more enjoyable and I really apologize Mr. Incredible that Tyler peed on your face. He felt bad too. I watched him do it and he really didn't mean to. He was trying to get to the toilet and then sadly said, "Oh no, I go pee pee on increbible!"
oh, p.s. If any of you have ever potty trained a boy, I'd love some tips. I really don't know what I'm doing!!
10 comments:
That is so funny! "I go pee pee on increbible!" So classic. Way to go and record it on the blog. Good luck with it all and I'll be sure to give you a call when I'm at that stage looking for some good tips.
Oh boy, good luck. I'm not looking forward to it! I did read a book titled Potty Training in a Day and, though I didn't follow all the tactics I really liked some of them and could see how lots of repetition works best. It is mostly hardest on the mom. Hang in there. If you can get him in the habit after a few days, that is much better than months of trying some here and there. Especially because they are so excited about it at first and after months they realize that diapers are easier and they start to rebel. Maybe lay down plastic sheets. I also hear of making them sit on the potty while they watched tv so they could learn when their body was going. Good luck!
oh kirsti!-if YOU have tips for ME, let me know!! i have an almost 3 yr old who's been training for 2 looooong months. i feel your pain!! ;)
ok, "I" have not tackeled potty training, but we are starting to work on it. That being said... my mother-in-law works in a preschool where she has to teach potty training A LOT!
So here is what SHE does at the school that she says is fool proof, and that is what "I" am trying now :-)
Step one
EVERY TIME you change their diaper, put them on the toilet and count to 10. (If they can tell you when they need to go BEFORE it's a bonus!) If the diaper is wet, just wipe after, if it's dirty (ie #2) dump the uhm... "contents" INTO the toilet, so they know where it goes. (my MIL puts them on the toilet backwards so they are holding onto the lid, that way they don't fall in..works for Mak!)
Step two
They can start taking off their own pants and diaper (as long as it's clean or just wet... dirty diapers you need to help with) and sitting on the toilet themselves.
Step three
they start doing the whole process themselves without needing your help at all. It just "magically" transitions into them doing it alone
She says it ALWAYS works and it generally does not take more than a couple weeks to do. (depending on the readiness of the child)
I have started doing this with Makayla, but not EVERYtime, I am still really lazy with it, BUT she has started coming to me and asking to be set on the potty already BEFORE she needs to go, so I'm pretty excited.
This is JUST the BASIC idea of this system, but it is working for me so far :-)
Good luck with the potty training thing and let me know what works for you. If you have any questions about this method, let me know I will ask my MIL cuz she uses this one ALL the time with kids.
urgh, potty training is so hard for the mom- and when I read about other people's experience, I think I had it pretty easy! I just decided to do it cold-turkey with Weston. I went out to Walmart and bought 10 of those clear shower curtains for $2 each. I laid them out all over our living room (which is carpeted) and put the potty right in the middle. Then we settled in for a weekend of movies, books, and LOTS of milk and juice! No underwear, by the way. They just got in the way. At first Weston didn't really even know what he was doing, but then he started to associate being wet with peeing... and he didn't like that. After the first two days, we moved the potty into the bathroom. After the 3rd day, he wanted to use the real toilet (thank goodness, 'cause I'm really not a fan of the pottys) and he hasn't gone back yet. Starting that third night he slept through the night dry, and has never wet the bed.
Like I said, we were lucky, and did the whole thing in less than a week. I never once punished him for peeing in his pants, but I did reward him each and every time he got even a few drops into the potty. Candy, chips- whatever he wanted that week!
Going #2 was a little harder- he didn't want to do it, and I got frustrated knowing that he could, he just didn't want to. After that first week, I did start to "punish" him when he went #2 in his underwear by giving him a "cold rinse" in the tub. You obviously have to wash them at that point anyways, so instead of it being nice, warm, enjoyable water (which was starting to seem like a reward, almost) I would clean him up with cool-cold water. Not ice cold, but not warm either. He HATED that, and after doing that 3x, he never went #2 in his underwear again :) Call me mean, but it worked!
we've been potty training for a couple of weeks now. I just give zac a treat everytime he pees on the potty. that seems to work pretty well for him. lots of juice, and have him go every 20 minutes for the first few days. going #2 is alot harder. haven't firgured that one out yet. have fun! :)
Good luck! Joseph was past 3 when we trained him and it happened fast. But he was older and more aware. Treats definitely help to encourage them. Something else you can do is have him sit on it regularly (like every hour or 1 1/2 hours) since he probably doesn't always recognize the need yet. Or won't recognize it early enough.
That is hilarious Kirsti! I wish you all the best. Potty training is really hard - especially with your first. Ryley was really hard an refused everything for the longest time. I finally figured out that I needed to just let them do it on their own. He wasn't potty trained until he was almost four, but it went really smoothly once he decided he was ready. I did the same with Cash and he just woke up one day and said he needed to go! Hasn't had but one accident!
Well Trevon was my easiest to potty train.. I like you put him in cute under wear and after about 7 peed on pants (in one day)he decieded that he did not want to get wet any more and he was pretty much trained after that
Well for Keenan not so easy we had pull ups by then and we went back and forth from pull ups to underwear and that worst thing ever. He never knew when he would get wet and when he had the diaper..so when you go to the under wear do not go back they learn fast that when i go pee pee it will run down my leg and that is not a good feeling...
Good luck.
mum I would love him topee pee on my face and in my mouth too if he wanted, I loved having a toddlersdick in my mouth when he pees
Post a Comment