Sunday, June 22, 2008
I got chiggers :(
Ok, if you have a weak stomach do not read on. Otherwise, here I go: When I first got to Texas, I heard about this crazy invisible bug called chiggers. They jump up your leg and bite you, then lay eggs under your skin and it hurts. People say never go outside without shoes on. I'm from California. I always go outside without shoes on. I got chiggers. The good thing is, the story about the egg laying is false. A common misconception. The truth is that these tiny bugs (1/150th of an inch in diameter-yes I looked it up) bite you and instead of laying eggs or burying themselves in your skin, they start to digest the dead skin cells from the bite. Because they are a host bug (like a tick) they stay there until you get them off. The problem is, reactions don't occur for 6-8 hours after the bite. By this time, I had bites up and down my legs. I was advised by everyone to apply clear nail polish (to prevent them from breathing and the eggs die) which of course isn't proper treatment since there are no eggs. But it actually did stop the itching for a few hours. Now my legs are ugly and itchy. I guess I'm lucky though. The website I read said one of the most common places for them to bite is in the crotch area. I guess it could be worse!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
EWWW yucky. Way to go to find out what is really going on! :D
Ouch. No fun! Are you feeling sick on top of that?
ewwwww, you poor thing! Did I tell you Weston had a tick on him one day? I like raced to the doctor's office, there was no way I was going to try and get it off! Ewwww bugs!
Post a Comment