I've realized we are in survival mode: get through the days, get through the nights... Having a new baby is absolutely wonderful, I feel like she brought heaven with her into our house. Everyone has been happier and we've had some very peaceful special moments. But we've also had some rough days, where our lack of sleep makes coping with any challenges... well, a challenge.
We had one pretty rough day this week, a day where I realized that all this change has been hard for the boys, that they are adjusting the best they can, although they've been having some trouble with obedience and listening to me, and needing extra attention. That day, I prayed extra hard that we'd get through this transition and that the boys would be able to adjust better. I prayed that I'd be able to be the great mom I am always striving to be.
The next day, I was blessed with two very special moments that have helped me realize we are going to be just fine.
Friday morning, I told the boys that whoever was ready when Grandma came to pick us up for school would get a candy in their lunch. I can help them get dressed and brush teeth, but I can't physically pick them up or carry anyone, which makes it hard if they are not trying. When my mom came, Tyler earned his candy but Jackson didn't. We got to the car and Jack started crying that he didn't get his candy. I have to follow through now more than ever if I am reinforcing their good behavior. Tyler opened up his lunchbox and gave Jackson his candy. It made me so proud to see Tyler give away something he earned, something he wanted so badly in the first place!
Then later that day, the boys were swimming at my parents house. Tyler fell in the pool with his robe on, and he started crying that he was all wet again. My mom was about to go get him a towel, when Jackson took off his robe and handed it to Tyler. It was so sweet- the image of one brother taking off the "shirt on his back" to give it to his shirt-less brother was so special.
I am so thankful for moments like this, that help me to see that we are doing a good job. Jeff and I try so hard to always be calm and positive parents, but when we are running on just a couple hours of sleep, patience is a challenge. I feel so blessed that the Lord listens to our prayers and helps us during challenging times.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
kirsti, this is so sweet. oh my heart. your dear sweet boys! you are such a great mom. i know it. they are so lucky to have a mama like you, really. i wish we lived closer to you, just so i could watch and try and be more like you!!!!!! i miss you. i know it was just a few wolf and lyon reunions, but they were the best and steph and i love to reminisce about them. :)
anyway, good luck with these next few weeks! you can do this! you are awesome! your boys are SO SO sweet and your little lindsey is too cute. i'm so glad we got to reconnect and now, i can blog-stock you. lol.
hope its a great weekend!!!
Post a Comment