Thursday, September 9, 2010

A is for Anteater, Aquarium, Animals and Alphabet

Yesterday we did the second lesson for the letter A!

Last week he saw that picture of an Anteater and Tyler asked what he was called. I told him it was an anteater and he just kept laughing and didn't believe me. I told him he has a long nose and tongue to eat the ants in an ant hill and that's why it was called an anteater. He still thought I was kidding. Then he found one in his animals collection and was so happy he started laughing again. So that's what he brought to show & tell!!
The next thing we did was the Aa coloring page with these super cool paint markers:
and then a little play-doh fun (which I don't have a picture of). We took a printout with the letter Aa in dotted lines and put it in a page protector. Then they take a magic marker to practice drawing the letter a few times. Once they're done and erase it again, they can stretch playdoh into snakes and make the letter on top of the shapes again.
The big project of the day is the aquariums. I love the idea and found details here: http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/diorama/aquarium/
It was a great day! Everyone had fun and did well! Can't wait for our next lesson I teach: the letter C!
Lately we've been working on the alphabet song, and recognizing letters. I thought of this fun activity for Tyler and I to do during Jackson's nap time-- I printed out an alphabet page and then brought out the letter tiles from Bananagrams (scrabble tiles would work too!) Then he gets to match the tile to the letter and name it as he does.
The other day we were eating apples and he said, "apple starts with A and A says /a/!" Then another time he asked, "What does B say?" I thought that was pretty funny. He's starting to catch on and it is really fun to see him make connections and learn new letters!!

2 comments:

Paxton said...

That is so cool! I made mak a fabric A out of a circus animal print to start playing around with letters and I love your ideas! I have been looking for more fabric for each letter :-)

Jewels said...

So fun! I love this stage of learning when they really soak it all up. It's so neat to watch!