Sunday, June 26, 2011

Swimming Lessons:

This week the boys have been taking swimming lessons!

It was a last minute decision to put Jackson in too, but with leaving for Lake Powell in 2 weeks I decided the more comfortable in the water he is, the better.
Tyler is a natural and has been doing great! He is learning to kick his legs, make an arrow with his hands, do big swimming circles with his hands (freestyle stroke) and float on his back. He has always been a great swimmer, but last year wouldn't try to float, so even though he started out strong, I can still see improvements!
practicing arrow arms and kicking
swimming to his teacher
Tyler floating!

Jackson, on the other hand, screamed the entire time his first day. Luckily each day he has gotten a little more comfortable, but is yet to go through a lesson with no tears.
Jackson practicing kicks! Tyler is lower left corner. I love that I can watch both boys at the same time!
Super happy after doing "motor boat"
When one child is jumping in, Jackson's teacher puts the other kid on her back so she has her hands free. What a great idea!
Jackson with help 'jumping' in
practicing to float... he is screaming here...
Jackson smiling and waving- one my favorite moments! He was yelling "Hi Mom!"
he does NOT like to practice blowing bubbles and especially being dunked. Who can blame him?
{my favorite moment was after Jackson's lesson he got out and climbed in my lap for a snack. He said, "where Ty'ya?" I pointed him out and Jackson started waving and yelling, "hi Ty'ya! yay Ty'ya!" so sweet!}

Most day after lessons, we have gone to my parents to swim after, and Jackson hides in the house and watches a movie instead of swimming. A couple times, I'd bring him in the water with me and play motor boat (he loves to "step on the gas!"), but he'd clutch onto me the whole time and was super nervous. THEN, on Saturday when the nephews were here- he would sit on the edge and reach for Keenan or Trevon and play with them! He laughed and kicked and was totally comfortable. He got out and did this a few different times, each time doing it by his own choice. I was in shock, but so glad that this is paying off!! There is not much worse than watching your little boy scream in the pool for 20 minutes and there's nothing I can do to help! So this is a huge improvement. Now I am just SUPER excited for our Lake Powell trip in July!

4 comments:

Paxton said...

How cool! I keep debating putting mak in swim lessons she is doing pretty good with a life jacket though... Somebody told me I should put Oscar in swim lessons too, since he hates glossier and doesn't workmwell with life jackets but he seems so young! He does love the water though! How old is Jackson again? Is he closer to mak (3) or Oscar (1 1/2)?

Kirsti said...

Naomi-- Jackson is 2 1/2, so maybe right in between them :) I think 3 was the perfect age for Tyler. He was at the stage where he wasn't afraid of anything but coordinated enough to really get it. I've heard the Mommy and Me classes for young ones are great.

Anonymous said...

hyt

Anonymous said...

lovely teacher, love to have the kids watch me put her against the wall of the pool, rip her bottoms off andfuck her asshole andcunt, swimming andsex lessons together