Tonight we sang the alphabet song (which I decided I need to be better about doing with them) and realized that Tyler knows a good deal of it. He got a little stuck around LMNOP...and told me, "I can't do that" so we sang it slowly and it came out like "el-an-elmo-pee." So that made me laugh. Jackson smiled the whole time and sang "abababa"
Tyler is a little fish in the water. My parents have a beautiful pool in their yard and the kids ask me to go swimming daily. I have to muster up some courage to go out there, because Tyler loves my swimming attention and Jackson is a little dare-devil. He thinks he can just walk off the edge and start swimming. So between diving bombing Tyler to the bottom to get a toy and saving Jackson's life every 5 seconds, it's always a blast!
Jackson is becoming quite the accessories fanatic, especially with shoes. He also loves sunglasses, hats and ties. There's a little basket where we put our shoes by the front door and Jackson will bring both his shoes and my shoes to me periodically throughout the day. He'll say "sh,sh,sh,sh" until I put them on then he'll grab my hand and walk me around the house. The other day, he had them on right before nap time and he wouldn't let me take them off when I put him in bed, so he slept in his shoes!
Our lesson today in Relief Society was Tell me the Stories of Jesus. I am reminded in a new ward where I don't quite know where I fit in (yet) the church is the same, and the gospel is true, and Christ is the center.
--I kept thinking about how I always had this beautiful picture of Christ and the children in my room growing up. Now my boys have the same picture in their room. I hope it reminds them, as it did for me, that Jesus loves us and that one day we will be able to gather around his side and hug Him. I hope I can teach my children that He loves us more than we will ever realize and that He is always there for us, no matter what our problem is; fear, doubt, pain, loneliness.
--I kept thinking about how I always had this beautiful picture of Christ and the children in my room growing up. Now my boys have the same picture in their room. I hope it reminds them, as it did for me, that Jesus loves us and that one day we will be able to gather around his side and hug Him. I hope I can teach my children that He loves us more than we will ever realize and that He is always there for us, no matter what our problem is; fear, doubt, pain, loneliness.
Before we came to California, we were walking the halls in our Allen building. I pointed to a picture of Christ and asked Tyler "who's that?" He usually answers right away, but this time didn't. I gave him a hint: "He's our special friend" His reply made me laugh and then brought tears to my eyes. "Grandpa?"
I hope my boys realize that our Heavenly Father and Jesus love us even more than our parents, or grandparents or closest friend. And that they show us their love by giving us special friends that support us and love us.
Here are a few of my favorite lines from the talk:
Have we told them of the love Jesus has for children, how He held them in His arms, prayed for them, and wept? Do our children know that Jesus stands ready “with open arms to receive [them]”?
To fathers and mothers, to grandfathers and grandmothers, and to those without children of their own who lovingly nurture children and youth, my counsel is to speak more frequently about Jesus Christ. In His holy name is great spiritual power. “There [is] no other name given nor any other way … whereby salvation can come unto the children of men, only in and through the name of Christ.”
Although there may be times when a child does not listen with a believing heart, your testimony of Jesus will remain in his or her mind and soul.
If a child is not listening, don’t despair. Time and truth are on your side. At the right moment, your words will return as if from heaven itself. Your testimony will never leave your children."
Beautiful words!
Have we told them of the love Jesus has for children, how He held them in His arms, prayed for them, and wept? Do our children know that Jesus stands ready “with open arms to receive [them]”?
To fathers and mothers, to grandfathers and grandmothers, and to those without children of their own who lovingly nurture children and youth, my counsel is to speak more frequently about Jesus Christ. In His holy name is great spiritual power. “There [is] no other name given nor any other way … whereby salvation can come unto the children of men, only in and through the name of Christ.”
Although there may be times when a child does not listen with a believing heart, your testimony of Jesus will remain in his or her mind and soul.
If a child is not listening, don’t despair. Time and truth are on your side. At the right moment, your words will return as if from heaven itself. Your testimony will never leave your children."
Beautiful words!
No comments:
Post a Comment